Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Oliver & Martin

Oliver Sinnott & Martin Goff

I just heard about the passing of a decent man. Oliver Sinnott was one of those rare people you meet…a true Christian.

Oliver was a renowned actor, a penchant for the comedic but sublimely gifted in the art of drama itself. I saw him first in Billy Roche’s first staging of “The Boker Poker Club” or more famously known as “A handful of stars” in Wexford’s Arts Center.

I first met Ollie properly in the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps, - The modern Sovereign Military Order of Malta or indeed the Knights of Malta as we are commonly called by the populace.

One of our duties, privileges rather was to assist in the Ferns Diocesan pilgrimage to Lourdes which is held every May.

I had the privilege of working with him in Lourdes, a place that truly is a sanctuary to me but more of that anon.

Oliver cared, the only attribute worth having when assisting in the Hospital at Lourdes. His attitude to those less fortunate and in distress was a beacon to those around him especially us younger ones who could only hope to learn from him. He had his moments as we all do but he helped me immeasurably in learning to care, to aid…He above all others taught me the true motto of the Knights “Our Lords, the poor, the infirm & the old” when in his company there.

I hope I learned something from Oliver as indeed I did from another wonderful friend & Lourdes Comrade - Martin Goff who passed away a couple of years ago, his demise left a big hole in my heart…Another wonderful Christian whose laughter I can still hear today!

Martin would explode into a room with the word “God save all here!” or “God bless the work!”. I confess Martin & I would often have a few jars after a busy shift be it in France or after “fence duty” on a greasy day in Lyngstown at a “point to point”. There wasn’t a “shibeen” unknownst to us in the south east of Ireland as we traveled each weekend to cover first aid or care duties in the darkest corners of Wexford & Waterford.

I worked with “Goff” in Dun Mhuire, the parish hall of Wexford, as a stagehand on many shows. Once more the “craic” was ninety as tricks on the unfortunate cast were planned & schemed upon. He was simply a joy to be around, I am laughing as I type as I think of some of the jokes he told, some of the pranks he played, too ribald to type here but maybe someday……

Martin though was simply brilliant as a Human being, His visits to the forgotten in those monolithic nursing homes. The sheer joy he brought to those lonely souls, telling them news from their parish. He was a phenomenal fund raiser too, He would have been a multi millionaire save for his humanity..He was too honest. The man was a dynamo!

My heart goes out to his wife Kathleen & their family….as indeed to Oliver’s wife Peggy & their family. God bless them all.

No comments: