Saturday, September 23, 2006

Artemis Fowl

We hope to head off on another cross -country safari soon. This time down to Lexington to see an old friend from school. Eoin Colfer is the creator of the best selling "Artemis Fowl" book series. His websites can be viewed here, http://www.artemisfowl.com/ & http://www.eoincolfer.com/home.htm . He is on a book tour at this moment in time, hence the trip to darkest Kentucky. The books are wonderful for readers of all ages and are winning devotees all over the world.

Eoin was a good pal at school with a wonderful wit which you'll discover reading his work. Playwright, Artist, Actor, Singer. A man of many talents as are his Brothers & Parents. Believe me, it is thrilling to see the fact materialize that "good things do happen to good people!" Eoin is living proof of this. He is the product of remarkable parents.

His father was the best teacher I ever had. People come into your life and make a change or influence you in some way. Billy Colfer’s influence in my life has been momentous to say the least.

If I could some the man up in a word, a statement even - it would simply be "encouragement!".

It may appear trite at first but to a ten year old, dealing with all types of upheaval and discouragement at home, a kindly word of encouraging spirit meant the world to me.

I was introduced to the world of history in this man's class. Made aware of my heritage, my roots, and our common past - our sense of place in the world. I will never forget our visit one day to the SW of my County, Tintern Abbey, Baginbun, The magical Hook Head and Dunbrody. The hinterland of the Colfers.

As soon as I could drive, they were my favourite haunts. Places I could get lost in and indulge in my love of local history. Places, memories I still revisit when I have quiet time here.

I loved reading. Reading was then my safe retreat, it still is and to participate in a classroom where it was extolled was a revelation. To be encouraged (that word again) to think about what we had read and to discuss it in an adult fashion was a joy.. We were enabled not patronized.

I brought so many life lessons out of that class, lessons that I hope I pass on to the kids I coach, the others I teach. Encouragement is such a crucial, vital force for this world at the moment. Good things happen when it is used.

I may not have joined the Royal Hong Kong Police Force, as I stated in his classroom one day (deadly serious too!) but I did sense I would someday move away from Erin's green shores, such was the need I guess, of escape in my life.

If he is reading this someday, I've been meaning to express my gratitude either via a letter or phone call for many a year but could never pluck up the courage. So maybe by doing so publicly via a blog is my way of saying "Thank you Billy, for all your encouragement those years ago!".

No comments: