Friday, December 22, 2006

D'unbelievables - unbelievably funny....

Podge & Rodge - I've already given a shout to but there was a pair from the "mid westhhh" that gave them more than a run for their money.....bog humour but with a subtle difference, it was from the Bog!

Seriously though, John Kenny & Pat Shortt were "D'unbelievables".

Brilliantly funny, two dynamos whose energy had to be seen to be believed....sadly though the the act is no more. I had the pleasure of meeting them when I worked backstage in the Theatre Royal and two nicer fellahs you could never hope to meet, John was very intense (mind you the man had torn knee ligaments in Kilkenny the night before and was in some pain which I am sure had a lot to do with that!) while young Pat was just so relaxed throughout the performance. It was interesting to observe how they interacted.

Both Men are tremendous musicians and I remember John Kenny's reggae version of "Spancil Hill" from my school days. He was a regular visitor to the County Hotel with his one man show back in the day.

John Kenny I understand is doing well after being seriously ill while Pat Shortt had some success with a show called "Kilnaskully" which the folks sent over and after viewing it, I have to say I was underwhelmed with it. A bit like Lennon & McCartney, perfect together.....hit & miss apart.

Anyway the good folks at "You Tube" have some great clips taken from the stage show "I doubt it says Pauline". The beautiful thing about this humour is that it is almost transcendental to any parish in Ireland.

"The Legendary Timmy Ryan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guT76kAPYs0

No comments: